What To Do If You Suspect There Are Errors on Your Credit Report

Did you know that the majority of the population has errors on their credit report? It’s very common to find mistakes like identity theft, credit card fraud, and late payments because these aren’t as complex as some other errors. But if you are among those who have found errors on your credit report–whether it’s something as simple as a mistake or something more complicated–here is what you should do.

 What are the implications of errors on credit reports?

If you find an error on your credit report and you’re not sure what that error means, it’s a good idea to contact the credit reporting company. This company is required by law to help fix any errors you find and will work with you to make sure there are no further problems. If the error is more complicated–for example, if someone has opened a new account in your name–then it’s best to contact the creditor to figure out what happened. 

What to do if you suspect errors on your credit report

If you find evidence of an error on your credit report, you should contact the credit reporting agency right away. Contacting the agency will help ensure that they take care of any issues with your report. They may be able to remove the error and even close it if it is a mistake. You may also want to contact a lawyer if you think that there has been identity theft or credit card fraud or if there are other potentially damaging issues that have been caused by errors in your credit report.

 How to dispute errors on your credit report

First, check to see if you can dispute the error on your report on your own. If it’s something you can dispute, do so by contacting the credit bureaus that issued the credit report and pointing out the mistake. If it’s not something you can dispute, or if the process seems to be beyond the scope of something you can accomplish, then you should contact a credit repair company. These types of errors are difficult to dispute on your own because they are complicated and often require evidence and documentation.

Finally, if you want to be proactive and avoid these mistakes in the future, make sure that you sign up for a credit monitoring service that will alert you when any changes are made to your account. 


If you suspect errors on your credit report, contact the three major credit reporting agencies and fill out their dispute forms. The three major agencies are Experian, Equifax, and TransUnion. If that does not immediately solve the problem, you may want to get a credit repair service involved to expedite the process. However, in the event of identity theft or credit card fraud, you may want to consider a lawyer who can alleviate any issues that this may cause for you or your credit.

Leave a Response